Saturday, 4 June 2011

Age

I'm 31. In my opinion I am still young. Okay, I'm not twenty any more. But I'm not seventy either. I have no real issue with my age as I am now. But maybe I will as time goes by. Sometimes I wonder where the time went so far and know that in another 31 years I will be quite a ripe age.

I think I have achieved a fair amount for the age I am. There will always be someone who has achieved more or taken a more sensible path. As long as I am happy with me, other people's opinions do not matter.

If I could turn the clock back ten years where would I be? Still at university studying my Dip HE, still gawky, still awkward, lacking the confidence that I was okay being me. And still facing the heartache I felt in my late twenties as I had my first experience of depression and felt I would never get better. Realistically I couldn't take off my 31 year old head and plant it on my 21 year old body so I might have to make do with the frown lines.

I may not pass for an adolescent but then if I did I wouldn't have much credibility with my clients.

"A comfortable old age is the reward of a well-spent youth. Instead of its bringing sad and melancholy prospects of decay, it would give us hopes of eternal youth in a better world." - Maurice Chevalier

2 comments:

  1. There will always be people who have achieved more than us by a certain age and people that achieve a lot less than us. I was a Chief Executive at 31 and there were several younger than me :) At the age of 30, Alexander the Great had conquered almost all the known ancient world!

    If you have cracked the confidence thing at 31, could you let some of us 43-year olds know how it is done ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say I have cracked the entire confidence thing - I did a presentation in front of some rather unhappy health visitors this morning and my voice definitely shook with nerves!

    I am confident about who I am and what I stand for. I think that's a maturity thing. As someone leaving school I discovered the world wasn't as black and white as I thought it was up until then. Especially with all the ethical dilemmas nurses face. It's not always easy to voice opinions when your peers disagree with you.

    Another aspect of confidence is experience. I used to do some voluntary work for a canal restoration group. The idea of going into the canal terrified me. Anything could have lived in there. One day I was tasked with going in. It wasn't so bad and they let me off early to get a shower. Would I ever go in the canal again? Yes I would.

    ReplyDelete